Large bundle of History Powerpoint Lessons all about the topic American West. This History unit contains 33 one hour lessons with associated activities.
The lesson packs included in this history bundle are:
Lesson 1 – The Great American Desert.pptx
Lesson 2 – Lakota Sioux.pptx
Lesson 3 – Sioux Lifestyle.pptx
Lesson 4 – Sioux Way of Life Buffalo.pptx
Lesson 5 – Warfare.pptx
Lesson 6- Go West! Manifest Destiny.ppt
Lesson 7 – Journey West.ppt
Lesson 8 – Mormons Origins.ppt
Lesson 9 – Mormons KMI (additional for assessment explanation if needed).ppt
Lesson 10 – Mormons Journey.ppt
Lesson 11 – Mormons SLC.ppt
Lesson 12 – Mormons Conflict.ppt
Lesson 13 – Gold.ppt
Lesson 14 -Conflict and Tension.ppt
Lesson 15 – American Civil War.ppt
Lesson 16 -Reconstruction.ppt
Lesson 17 -Transcontinental Railroad.ppt
Lesson 18 & 19 -Homesteaders and BA.ppt
Lesson 20 – Women Homesteaders [Autosaved].ppt
Lesson 21 -Cattle Ranching.ppt
Lesson 22 -Life of a Cowboy.ppt
Lesson 23 -Cowtowns.ppt
Lesson 24 -Boom to Bust.ppt
Lesson 25 – Range Wars and Town Conflicts.ppt
Lesson 26 – Johnson County War.ppt
Lesson 27 – Law & Order.ppt
Lesson 28 – The Wild West Interpretations.ppt
Lesson 29a – Conflict with Plains Indians.ppt
Lesson 30 – Great Sioux War.ppt
Lesson 31 -Destruction of the Indians2.ppt
Lesson 32 -Reservations.ppt
Lesson 33 – The End for the Indians.ppt
The history learning outcomes are:
- Explain how the landscape of America made it difficult to live on the Plains.
- Explore the culture and wway of life of the Lakota Sioux
- Explore the tools and rules that comprised Sioux culture
- Explore the hierarchies and systems that made up Sioux culture
- Explain how white settlement began to impact Native Americans
- Explain how Manifest Destiny encouraged migration
- Explain the difficulties of travelling West in the early 1800s.
- Understand the formation and treatment of the Mormons
- Analyse the persecution of the Mormons in the East
- Give a narrative account of the Mormon Journey to Salt Lake City
- Evaluate the success of the Mormon journey to Salt Lake City
- Explain the importance of the leadership of Young to the settlement of Salt Lake City
- Explain the consequences of the discovery of gold in California in 1848
- Explain the consequences of the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1851
- What were the consequences of the American Civil War?
- Who were the winners of the American Civil War?
- How did the railroads change the plains?
- To investigate how homesteaders were able to overcome problems on the Plains so that I can evaluate how successful they were.
- To evaluate a series of sources so that we can investigate the lifestyle of female Homesteaders.
- To understand how cattle ranching developed across the Plains so that I can explain the key turning points in the journey.
- To understand the problems that cattle ranching caused across the Plains so that I can explain the key turning points in the journey.
- To understand why there were so many issues of law and order so that I can explain the impact that it had on the settlement of the West.
- To understand how the battle for the Plains progressed so that I can begin to explain how the story of the American West ends.
- To understand how the American Government eroded the culture of the Plains Indians.