Shared by Emma Jayne Meir (thank you) a PowerPoint about Queen Elizabeth II
On 6th February 1952, Princess Elizabeth became Queen of the United Kingdom, when her father King George VI died.
Queen Elizabeth came to the throne when she was 25 years-old.
Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning and oldest monarch in the world.
In 2022 Queen Elizabeth became the first British monarch to celebrate a platinum jubilee, marking 70 years on the throne.
- Queen Elizabeth is related to the ancient kings of Wessex, including Alfred the Great.
- 15 different British Prime Ministers have served during Queen Elizabeth’s reign.
- Only four other monarchs have ever been Queens in their own right: Mary I, Elizabeth I, Anne and Victoria. This is because the crown was always inherited by the eldest male heir, unless there was only a daughter, or niece.
- One of the Queen’s roles as head of state is the opening of Parliament. She is not allowed to enter the House of Commons, so it is done in the House of Lords.
- During World War Two, when she was a young girl, Princess Elizabeth and her sister Princess Margaret took part in a special episode of a radio programme called ‘Children’s Hour’.